The Asian citrus psyllid can spread the bacteria as the pest feeds on citrus trees and other plants.
- New York Times Reporting on Agriculture November 1, 2022Look I get it. The New York Times (NYT) does not like GMOs, industrial agriculture, factory farming or meat consumption. But I question the decision of such an influential media source to feature TWO front page articles detailing agriculture industry funding of agricultural scientists, Prof. Kevin Folta in 2015 and in 2022 Prof. Frank Mitloehner, […]
- A Word About Funding Graduate Students July 17, 2022When I started as a professor at Davis 20 years ago, the cost of in-state graduate student fees was $5,037 per year (including health insurance of $966/year). Today they are $19,378 (including $5,472/year in health insurance). Add an additional $15,102 if the student is from out of state or international for a whopping $34.5K/year. To […]
- DNA is NOT a drug. And regulating genome edited research animals as a drug is unworkable. March 9, 2022Investigational research animals that have been genome edited CANNOT enter the food supply in the United States, irrespective of the edits they carry, unless the researcher that has produced that animal has submitted an FDA Investigational New Animal Drug (INAD), and additionally has obtained a food use authorization which requires a TON of paperwork and […]
- Public Acceptance of Animal Genomics and Biotechnology October 14, 2021Animal biotechnology is the application of modern molecular techniques to animals. Genetic engineering and cloning are two older forms of animal biotechnology , and genome editing is a more recent entrant. Animal genomics is the scientific study of structure, function and interrelationships of both individual genes and the genome in its entirety. Utilization of genomic […]
- Contemplated Regulatory Framework (Part #4) December 28, 2020This is part 4 of a 1, 2, 3, 4 part series on Regulation of Genetically Modified Animals I am in perhaps a somewhat rare position regarding the contemplated USDA regulatory framework, as I actually have several animals from amenable species (sheep, cattle) on the ground that were developed using “techniques that use recombinant, synthesized, […]